Here are seven lean, green tips to save your organization money:
- Serve beverages in pitchers like lemonade or iced tea instead of individual soft drinks. This strategy eliminates both bottles and cans as well as the ++ of gratuity and tax on individual servings.
- Reduce the size of the printed conference program saving paper, printing costs, shipping, freight hauling and staff handling.
- Eliminate the conference bag. Seriously, no one needs another one even if it is a reusable grocery bag and you don't have to hire people to stuff, schlep and hand them out.
- Meet in a location that doesn't require shuttle service. Chose a site accessible by mass transit to the airport and walkable to hotels, restaurants and shopping.
- Offer a virtual option for speakers and participants. Bring in revenue without having to feed and house participants.
- Serve hearty vegetarian meals for lunch (note: we used this strategy this fall with no complaints, attendees were full, and the food costs were much lower).
- Guarantee food with close and accurate numbers and chose plated instead of buffet meals.