One of the most important green meeting initiatives when selecting a destination for your meeting or event is walkability. Walkability simply means having access to parks, restaurants, hotels, shopping and grocery stores within walking distance. In this case, within walking distance of the convention center. This means your participants will not have to take a cab, rent a car or use public transportation. Saving money and the environment!
PCMA Convene recently published the 15 most walkable convention centers using the Walk Score walkability calculator. Convention centers are ranked from 1 to 100, with 100 being the best score. Here they are:
1. Colorado Convention Center, Denver - 97
2. Frontier Airlines Center, Milwaukie - 95
3. America's Center Convention Complex, St Louis - 95
4. Cleveland Center - 94
5. Albuquerque Convention Center - 92
6. Henry B. Gonzales Convention Center, San Antonio - 91
7. Salt Palace, Salt Lake City - 91
8. Baltimore Convention Center - 89
9. Minneapolis Convention Center - 89
10. Long Beach Convention and Entertainment Center - 86
11. Phoenix Convention Center - 86
12. San Diego Convention Center - 86
13. Oregon Convention Center - 85
14. George R. Brown Convention Center, Houston - 83
15. Indiana Convention Center, Indianapolis - 80
If you want to take a look at other factors to consider when determining a destination for your event, check out Best Places to MeetGreen.
Monday, February 13, 2012
15 Most Walkable Convention Centers
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Curious to me that Moscone Center isn't on this list. Way more hotels, restaurants, public transport, shopping in the area than say San Diego or Long Beach. Not sure I trust this list.
Good point, Paul. Apparently they left Moscone Center off the list. I used the calculator and found that Moscone Center, San Francisco, CA, does indeed have a score of 94. Very walkable, indeed. Thanks for questioning the information.
Post a Comment