Looking for the business case benefits for a standardized and measurable sustainability program for your hotel? Here are five top benefits with links to recent articles and web sites which may help you make the case:
- Cost savings. A 10 percent reduction in energy consumption alone would have the same financial effect as increasing the average daily room rate (ADR) by $2.45 in full-service hotels. http://www.ahla.com/green.aspx?id=3616
- It provides a competitive advantage. Travelocity Endorses Hilton's LightStay Program, adding properties participating in the program to their green directory: http://www.greenlodgingnews.com/travelocity-adds-hotels-from-hilton-its-green-hotel
- Government agencies and corporations are mandating selection of sustainable suppliers. GSA Bulletin requires 'greening' of government travel/meetings, showing preference to those properties that have validated measurement initiatives: http://www.greenlodgingnews.com/gsa-new-bulletin-government-agencies--travel-green
- Individual consumers have 'green' travel preferences. SFO Community Marketing Second Annual Green Traveller Survey: http://www.greenlodgingnews.com/community-marketing-inc-releases-results-of-second
- Innovation. The Harvard Business Review also has a good article on why sustainability is
now the key driver of innovation: http://hbr.org/2009/09/why-sustainability-is-now-the-key-driver-of-innovation/es. Learn why top companies are paying attention to the issue.